I must admit, I got inspired to make this soup by KStew. Last month Vogue finally had her on their cover and inside was her famous Tortilla soup, i.e. a soup that she and other actors have mentioned as a showcase of her great cooking skills during several interviews. So, I had to try it with a bit of an upgrade. As always, I felt a little competitive, even if it was KStew’s recipe. I poked a little at the Food Network’s website and got inspired by a recipe by Emeril. What you see below is a combination of the two recipes, plus my own touches. It came out pretty good. Definitely a nice way to warm-up after a cold day. Enjoy!
Here is what you need:
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 chopped medium onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 bell peppers( 1 yellow,1 green)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 table spoons ground cumin
- 1 can diced roasted tomatoes
- 1 Qt of low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2-3 limes
- 4 stale corn tortillas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 1 teaspoon Emeril’s Essence( click on link for recipe)
- 2 avocados, peeled, seeded, and chopped into cubes for garnish
- 6 table spoons of sour cream for chipotle crema
- 1-2 chipotle peppers in adobo for chipotle crema
- 1 cup of cheddar cheese
Here is how you make it:
In a large heavy pot, preferably a dutch oven, heat the oil on medium-high. Cook the onion and cumin for about 2 minutes, or until translucent and then add the garlic, peppers, salt, and cook for another for 6-7 minutes while stirring. Add the crushed tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes and continue stirring. Add the chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm.
While the soup is cooking prepare the garnishes. Heat the oven to 400 degrees F. Bake the tortilla strips for about 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and season with the Essence.
Prepare a chipotle crema. Dice the chipotle finely mix it with the sour cream and add salt to taste.
Chop the cilantro, cut the limes to wedges.
When serving put a table spoon of cheese on the bottom of the bowl first, then ladle the soup. Garnish each serving with the tortilla strips, avocado, lime wedges, some more cheddar cheese, cilantro and Chipotle Crema, as desired.
Enjoy, this soup truly warms you up!